Seeking Freelance Editors Specializing in Engineering and the Physical Sciences
Email to which resumes have to be sent
Cactus Communications (www.cactusglobal.com) is a pioneer in language services, serving more than 38,000 clients across 100 countries. In line with its mission—growth through effective communication—CACTUS offers specialist academic editing, medical communications, publication support, transcription, translation, and training services to individuals and corporations across sectors such as academia, publishing, and pharmaceuticals. We are currently looking for experienced editors to work with us on a freelance basis for our English-language academic copyediting and substantive editing services.
Here’s what you need to become a CACTUS Freelance Editor
• Exceptional command of the English language: grammar, punctuation, and idiomatic expressions
• At least two years of experience in editing scientific manuscripts
• Expertise in one or more of the following subjects: Engineering (all disciplines), Nuclear/Particle Physics, Optics, Mathematics, Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Electronics, Nanotechnology, Computer Science, Computational Mathematics, Modeling/Simulation, Information Technology, Environmental Science, Atmospheric Science, Climatology, Biofuels, Sustainability, Metallurgy, and Material Science
One or more of the following are preferred:
• A doctoral degree, preferably with postdoctoral experience
• Experience in academic writing/editing, publishing, and scientific communications
• Experience in working with ESL (English as a second language) authors and their written materials
• Familiarity with the style and conventions followed in scholarly writing
You will be required to edit research papers to ensure:
• Correct sentence structure, word choice, grammar, and punctuation
• Conformity to native English standards
• Consistency in the use of terminology
Manuscript format and style:
• Check the basic format of the manuscript to ensure consistency in layout, presentation of citation numbering, reference style, etc.
• Format the manuscript as per client specifications and/or journal guidelines
As a Copyeditor, your role may not always be restricted to “cleaning copy.” You may also need to edit heavily (wherever required) to ensure that all awkward/convoluted expressions are eliminated. The final product should be an edit that is error free and faithful to the author’s intended meaning!
> Substantive editor
In addition to performing a copyedit, a Substantive Editor:
• Makes structural changes, ensures that the content is well organized, and makes adjustments to ensure that the tone is appropriate
• Drafts a cover letter for the author and provides a short report on the quality of the original document
• Revises the document based on further input from the client, if necessary
Why work with us?
Becoming a CACTUS Freelance Editor will provide you with a platform to apply your scholarly knowledge and English-language skills. Our rigorous recruitment process ensures that we select only the best editors. Our managing editors, reviewers, and trainers dedicate quality time to ensure that once on-board, our freelance editors receive all the information and support they need.